Your child has that look on their face that tells you they had an “uh-oh” moment in the bed. It’s nothing to be embarrassed about.
Pee stains can easily be removed from the mattress. Even those older marks you have discovered can be banished. All you need to eliminate pee stains is the right gear and technique.
There may be affiliate links in this article. You can read more about this in my disclosure.
The things you need
Gather these items and you can put them in a special “pee-stain” buster box. That allows you to be ready for those “emergencies”.
With these pieces stored together, you can address the issue quickly rather than having to spend time finding everything you need.
How to remove the stain
Before your deal with the situation you need to determine the level of the pee stain:
- How long has it been there?
- What material is the mattress made from (foam, polyester, or wool?)
- How deep into the mattress did the urine go?
- Is the smell strong or weak?
The longer the stain has been on the mattress, the more work you will have to do to remove it. That’s also the case if it has soaked deep into the mattress.
Additionally, some materials are quicker at absorbing liquid than others, such as foam. So you have to react quickly if the pee is fresh.
You can use one of two methods depending on if you are cleaning with vinegar or laundry detergent.
Cleaning with white vinegar
- Begin by taking all the sheets and bedding off the bed. Put this all into your washing machine as quickly as possible.
- Blot the affected area using either paper towels or a cloth. Make sure you aren’t rubbing the spot as this drives the urine deeper into the mattress.
- Pour vinegar into a spray bottle. Undiluted vinegar is more effective than if you choose to water it down. However, you will get a more pungent odor with the concentrated form.
- Spray the vinegar over the area you want clean, then wait for 10 minutes.
- Get paper towels or new cloth and blot up the vinegar.
- Sprinkle baking soda on the soiled part of the mattress to absorb leftover smells.
- Wait several hours then grab your vacuum cleaner. Use this to suck up the baking soda.
Cleaning with laundry detergent
The process for this is somewhat similar to the vinegar method.
- Removing the sheets and bedding. Put these into the washing machine.
- Lightly blot the area with paper towels or a cloth.
- Sprinkle baking soda over the area and let it soak up the leftover moisture.
- Mix your laundry detergent with some warm water. Then pour this into a spray bottle.
- Cover the affected area with your detergent solution and then wait for 5 minutes.
- Using your paper towels or a fresh cloth, pat the treated area to remove the moisture.
- Pour baking soda over this portion of the mattress again. Leave everything to dry for 18-24 hours.
- Grab your vacuum cleaner and use it to clean up the baking soda. Leave your mattress in a well-ventilated room to get rid of final smells.
Use a commercial cleaner
If the above two methods proved to be fruitless in removing the stain and the smell, consider using a commercial cleaner.
You can easily grab these off Amazon. Here are some options for you to consider.
This uses hydrogen peroxide to breakdown the cell structure of the urine. What that equates to is the stain and smell are eliminated.
It works on mattresses, carpets (if your pet has that unfortunate moment), and fabric. Not only can you use it on a variety of surfaces indoors, but it can also clean up stains outside off sidewalks, tiles, and grout.
If a name speaks for itself, then this product says it all. It is all-natural and non-toxic.
Not only does it remove the yellow pee stains it can also eliminate those brown ones too (you know, the whoopsies that come out of the other end).
It contains over 2 billion enzymes that work to break down and eliminate urine and feces. As we mentioned, URINE-B-GONE isn’t toxic, yet there is a catch around this: you have to follow the directions on how to use it.
If you don’t, then this solution is potentially unsafe for kids and pets.
This has been voted as the top carpet cleaning brand by Nielsen. The handy spray bottle means that everything is ready to go.
No need to mess around with diluting. It also prevents re-marking if you have territorial pets.
For the best results spray it to cover an area twice the size of the one you are treating.
An “Amazon Choice” product that is eliminates a range of stains and odors (yes, that includes pee stains). It can be used on a range of items around the house other than your mattress such as furniture, clothes, and other surfaces that can be cleaned with water.
It has been tested and approved by parents, which makes it a family-friendly choice.
Don’t panic over the pee
Life can serve us moments of unintended embarrassment such as wetting the bed. Though it is considered a situation suffered by children, there can be times when older individuals have an “accident”.
Then we introduce pets into the mix and your mattress can be under a lot of threat from the pee.
When an “incident” occurs, it’s best to get onto the situation quickly. This minimizes the chance of the urine soaking deep into the mattress.
Cleaning up the stain is merely a matter of blotting the area, spraying, sprinkling baking soda, and then vacuuming.
After that, open the windows to let the fresh air in. The air serves two purposes:
- Removes the residual smell of the urine
- Dries out the treated mattress
Now you know how to deal with those whoopsie moments, you don’t have to panic anymore!
Last update on 2023-09-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API