Faux flowers brighten up a space, without requiring intensive care and attention. Fake flowers are long-lasting and can look super realistic.
Real flowers need replacing regularly, which can get costly pretty quickly. So putting out a few vases of fake flowers can be a great compromise and bring color to a room.
You can customize bouquets; they’re safe for those with allergies and can remain beautiful for years. However, artificial flowers can quickly make a room look old and tired once they have collected a little dust.
We’ve collated some tips and tricks to help your artificial flowers look fresh and vibrant and a guide for cleaning them.
So keep reading to learn how to care for your fake flowers.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. The links below may be affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
Artificial flowers made with silk and plastic require a little care. First, dust with a microfiber cloth, and saturate saturate saturate saturate with silk spray.
Then fill a bag with coarse sea salt, place the flowers inside and shake thoroughly. You can wash plastic flowers with soap and water.
And to refresh metal flowers, treat with lemon juice.
How to clean silk flowers.
Silk flowers are comprised of fabric and plastic and are the most realistic version of fake flowers.
To avoid damaging the silk, the plastic will need to be cleaned slightly differently from the silk petals.
What you’ll need:
- A cloth or duster.
- Silk cleaning spray.
- A sealable plastic bag.
Follow these steps to clean silk flowers.
Prevention is always easier than heavy-duty cleaning, so get into the habit of dusting the flowers weekly.
You can use a microfiber cloth, a feather duster, or a hair dryer on a cool heat.
If the petals are a little worn and dusty looking, you will need to add some water. Then, grab a silk flower cleaning spray and gently mist the petals.
Next, grab a sealable plastic bag, and add some coarse salt. Place a few flowers in the bag and shake gently.
Continue this process until you have cleaned all of the flowers.
The salt will act as a mild abrasive and gently loosen dust and grime when you’ve done each flower; simply shake off the flowers to remove any excess dirt.
If you don’t have any silk cleaning spray or the flowers still look dirty, you can use some vinegar.
In a spray bottle, combine equal water and distilled white vinegar. Then, mist the flowers and leave them to air dry.
Another step you can take is to wash the silk with soap and water. Fill the sink with cool water, add a few drops of dish soap, and mix.
Gently immerse the flowers in the water and swirl them around. Gently rub at the stubborn, dirty patches.
Then, quickly remove the flowers and dry each petal with a towel.
Do not use hot water when cleaning fake flowers because heat will weaken the flue that holds the flower together.
As a result, the flowers may fall apart if washed in hot water.
Silk flower cleaning spray:
Coarse sea salt:
How to clean plastic flowers.
Plastic flowers are a little more robust and don’t damage as easily as silk.
What you’ll need:
- Microfiber cloth.
- Lemon juice.
- Spray bottle.
- Glass cleaner.
Follow these steps to clean plastic flowers:
- Begin by removing as much dust as possible. Then, like silk flowers, try to dust weekly to keep the flowers in good shape.
- Lemon is highly acidic, and citric acid is excellent at breaking down dirt and grime. Spray the lemon juice on the flowers, and rub it with a cloth. Then rinse the flowers in cold water.
- Grab some glass cleaner and spray each of the flowers. Try to use a glass cleaned with Ammonia D, such as Windex. Spray the flowers, and leave them to soak for at least 30 minutes. The glass cleaned will help revive the colors in the petals.
If you don’t fancy buying a bunch of fresh lemons, you can use some lemon concentrate:
Grab some Windex online:
How to clean metal fake flowers.
What you’ll need:
- Microfiber cloth.
- Distilled white vinegar.
- Dust regularly with a microfiber cloth. You don’t need to be delicate here; metal is very sturdy.
- In a bowl, combine two parts white vinegar with one part water.
- Immerse the metal flowers in the solution, and leave them to soak for at least 2 hours.
- Remove the flowers and rinse with tap water. Dry with a towel.
How to store fake flowers:
If you have a few artificial flowers you keep for crafting, you might wonder how to store them.
Before storing them, make sure to wash them thoroughly first.
Then, you need to store them in a sealed yet breathable container, such as a plastic bin with a closed lid.
It’s important to not crush or squash the petals when you store them. Also, store the box out of direct sunlight to protect the colors.
For longer stems, try lining the box with tissue paper or wrapping paper.
How to prevent fake flowers from fading.
Storing or displaying fake flowers out of direct sunlight will help to prolong the color and vibrancy of the petals. Try not to leave them on window sills, as they will fade quickly.
If you’re displaying your flowers outside, try placing them beneath an awning. You can also spray the petals with a UV-protectant spray.
Obviously, you do not have to do these things, but it will extend the lifespan of your faux flowers.
You can try a spray like the one linked below.
How to make artificial flowers look real.
Artificial flowers can look great, but if styled or cared for poorly, they can quickly look cheap.
Here are a few tips to make your artificial flowers look real:
- Try to buy “real touch” flowers. The petals are made with a soft material that almost feels damp to the touch.
- Try to make sure the stem is wired when shopping for your next faux floral arrangement. This way, the stem can be moved and manipulated to look real.
- Once you have bought the flowers, leave them out somewhere to air and fluff out. They will arrive flat and lifeless, as they will have been compressed will have flattened.
- Take care when styling the flower arrangement, and put as much effort in as you would if they were real flowers.
- Once you have selected the right vase, cut or bend the stems of the flowers so that they stand twice the height of the vase.
Artificial flowers are great investments for the home. They can brighten up any room for an affordable price and last decades.
Artificial flowers can be very convincing, with new materials and styles emerging to deceive florists. However, neglecting the florals will result in a cheap, unpleasant aesthetic.
It’s important to dust the arrangement regularly. Deep clean the florals according to their material.
Be gentle with silk petals, wipe with a microfiber cloth, and invest in a floral spray.
For plastic flowers, you can wash them with soap and water. You can use plenty of methods to keep your florals looking vibrant.
Last update on 2023-03-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API