Vegetable fried rice is probably one of my favorite recipes for an easy weeknight meal. I know everyone enjoys this dish. Plus, it’s an easy way to get our sometimes picky eaters to enjoy some extra veggies.
One of my favorite things about vegetable fried rice is how versatile this dish is. You can add a protein to make it extra filling or just fill up your plate for a meatless Monday meal that’s tasty and filling.
Want to add this dish to your menu tonight? Keep reading to discover the secrets to a deliciously simple vegetable fried rice dish your whole family will love.
What vegetables are in fried rice?
The beauty of fried rice is that you can add just about any combination of vegetables to the dish. We like to use a frozen vegetable mix for convenience, but I’ve been known to use leftover steamed veggies from the fridge and fresh veggies too.
My kids adore broccoli, so I try to always include that in my recipe. Choose a mix of your favorites for a vegetable fried rice recipe your family will love.
Besides the veggies, onions, garlic, and eggs shine in this recipe. Don’t skimp on the veggies or the oil and you’ll have an amazing vegetable fried rice recipe in 30 minutes.
How To Make Vegetable Fried Rice
Ready to make your own version? Here’s what you’ll need to get started:
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup frozen vegetables
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Spring onions
Once you’ve gathered everything you need, you can get started. The best part? You’ll have dinner for 4 in 30 minutes (including rice cooking time).
Follow these step by step instructions and you’ll be enjoying my favorite fried rice in no time:
- Remember, for best results cook the rice and then leave out overnight. The rice will dry out and be better for stir-frying.
- Place 1 cup rice and 2 cups water into a saucepot. Turn to high. Once it comes to a boil turn to the lowest setting and cook simmer for 25 minutes. Let the rice sit overnight.
- In saute pan or wok, add one tablespoon olive oil. Turn to medium heat.
- Add in rice, soy sauce, ginger, and garlic. Saute for 2 minutes. Add in vegetables and saute for 5 more minutes.
- Serve topped with spring onions.
Vegetable Fried Rice Variations
This dish is so versatile! Don’t be afraid to get creative. You can use up leftover ingredients to get creative with your vegetable fried rice dinner.
Here are some classic additions my family enjoys:
- Chicken: You can use canned chicken, leftover chicken, or even a quick rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.
- Pork chops: Dice boneless pork chops and cook separately before adding them to your vegetable fried rice dish.
- Beef: Both steak and ground beef will work for beef fried rice. Crumble or dice cooked beef and add to your vegetable fried rice.
- Shrimp: Be sure to saute your shrimp separately. You’ll need about half a pound, peeled and deveined.
- Pineapple: I love this traditional Thai addition to vegetable fried rice. You can use a drained can of chopped pineapple to add a fruity flavor to your recipe.
What’s your favorite vegetable fried rice addition? Share your variations in the comments. That way, I can try your recipe next!
As a busy mom, Raz knows firsthand the challenges of balancing parenting and household management. Raz is constantly searching for ways to simplify her life and loves sharing her experiences and tips with others. Whether it's finding creative meal solutions for picky eaters or discovering the latest time-saving home organization hack, she is always on the lookout for ways to make life easier for her family and herself.