Bed bugs are small insects that live in fabrics. They bite humans feeding on blood. This can cause you to become itchy.
The bed bugs cause stains in the fabric as their excretions are blood stained. This causes brown stains to appear in bed sheets or duvets.
The stains can be tough to remove as the stains contain blood. The stains can remain even if the pests have been eliminated.
- How can I remove the stains?
- Removing bed bug stains from mattresses
- How to remove bed bug stains from walls?
- Do bed bugs live in walls?
- Do bed bugs always leave stains?
- How can you treat bed bug bites?
- How do you get bed bugs?
- What do bed bugs look like?
- Should I use pesticides?
- Do bed bugs only like dirty areas?
- What attracts bed bugs?
- Do bed bugs reproduce?
- Is there bed bug treatment I can buy online?
There may be affiliate links in this article. You can read more about this in my disclosure.
How can I remove the stains?
- Spray the affected area with some enzyme based stain remover that you would use on fabrics or laundry. Allow the substance to remain on the linen for the recommended period of time. This is often around thirty minutes.
- Put the bedding in the washing machine with your usual laundry detergent.
- Moisten the stained areas in equal parts of hydrogen peroxide and ammonia if there are any remaining spots after being in the washing machine.
- Rinse the hydrogen peroxide and ammonia away after around ten to fifteen minutes. Don’t leave these substances in place for more than fifteen minutes as you may risk damaging the bedding.
Removing bed bug stains from mattresses
- Fill a spray bottle with hydrogen peroxide. Moisten the affected areas and leave for about eight minutes.
- Blot the areas with a cloth.
- Sprinkle dry borax on to the stains and blot with the cloth to rub it in.
- Repeat steps until stains are removed.
- Hold a cloth over the damp areas to take the moisture out of the spots. Wait until the mattress is completely dry before applying any bedding by to prevent mold and mildew.
How to remove bed bug stains from walls?
- Start by spraying water on the stain and gently rub with a damp cloth. You can also test the water on one part of the wall to ensure it won’t cause any discolouration.
- If water and a cloth doesn’t work, you can use some stronger or harsher products that contain hydrogen peroxide.
Do bed bugs live in walls?
Yes they can live in walls and will often live in small crevices, or books and cranny’s of walls when they are not feeding. Once they want to feed, they can come down the walls and in to your bed.
Do bed bugs always leave stains?
Bed bugs will leave stains as their faeces is blood stained. This is what causes the stain.
On an absorbent surface you may not see the stain, but on fabrics and woods it will be dark brown in colour or black. If you have large patches of staining, it is likely you have an infestation there.
How can you treat bed bug bites?
- Put something cool on the affected area like a clean and damp cloth to help soothe itching and swelling.
- Keep the affected area clean.
- Avoid scratching the area further.
How do you get bed bugs?
Bed bugs can travel from place to place by being hidden in furniture or clothing. They can also travel in any soft upholstered item.
They can also travel between rooms in multi purpose buildings such as apartments or hotels.
What do bed bugs look like?
Bed bugs are small insects that do not have wings. They can not fly or jump but can crawl rapidly.
There body resembles an apple seed and they are red/brown in color. They hide during the day in crevices they can find such as headboards, mattresses and walls, and then they come out at night.
Should I use pesticides?
Pesticides are not safe for human skin or to be used indoors. This would not be a wise idea.
It can take a lot of time and persistence to get rid of bed bugs and pest control companies can be expensive. If you do decide to use a pest control company, be sure they have experience in dealing with bed bugs.
Bed bugs aren’t a health concern, rather more of a nuisance and can generally be dealt with by yourself.
Do bed bugs only like dirty areas?
This is a myth. Bed bugs are not attracted to dirt and grime.
They are only attracted to human blood. Having clutter in the house however, will help them hide.
They typically come out in the middle of the night to feed and will go back in to hiding. If you have bed bugs, it doesn’t necessarily mean your property is dirty.
Bed bugs can also survive for many months without food so simply isolating where the issue is won’t help.
What attracts bed bugs?
Bed bugs are attracted to carbon dioxide. Humans emit this gas from their breath.
This lets the bed bug know that there is a food source near by.
Do bed bugs reproduce?
Yes they do reproduce and can also leave eggs in spots in your house. One female bed bug can cause an entire infestation.
The bed bugs can live for 4-6 months. Adult bed bugs are around 5mm long.
Is there bed bug treatment I can buy online?
Yes. There are many products available on Amazon with fast delivery.
Here are some listed below:
This bed bug killer is part of a three step process. It is also suitable for killing fleas and ticks.
It also comes with a helpful wand to reach in to hard to reach places, nooks and cranny’s. It is available on Amazon for $18.
This product is classed as the best spray bottle available. It kills both bed bugs and eggs.
It is also EPA registered and safe to use in homes and around pets. The spray has a long residual life and can still kill bed bugs after 16 weeks of application.
It is also an odourless formula and safe to use on furniture. It is harmful if inhaled and toxic to aquatic life.
It can also be a skin irritant. Always follow the instructions on the label.
Harris pyrethroid bed bug spray is available on Amazon for $20.
This bed bug killing product is a powder form and is classed as the best powder product on the market. The product works by drying out the bed bugs and claims to stay active for 10 years.
It is also for the control of bed bugs, lice, fleas, ticks, silver fish, spiders, mites and dry wood termites. It is one of the cheaper products on the market coming in at $9.
This product doesn’t use harsh chemicals and use natural ingredients. The product does however, have an odour due to the use of plant oils.
This product is best used on active bed bugs, it does not have a residual life, so for infestations, it is better used with other treatment methods also.
It does come in at one of the higher ticket products at $60.
Bedlam plus is most suitable for treating infestations on mattresses. Whilst there are lots of other product’s available on the market, bedlam plus is the more popular option.
The spray is water based so is unlikely to stain your furniture. Pesticide based products are more likely to stain furniture.
The product has a residual life of two weeks. It is available on Amazon for $24.
Trapper max glue boards are a different product and isn’t a spray. This other treatment method is perfect for those on a budget at $6.
It may take longer to get rid of the bed bugs, but the product works by putting the boards around legs of beds, making it harder for the bed bugs to climb up.
The bed bugs will stick to the boards, but to get them out of your mattress or furniture you will still need to use a spray or another treatment method.
This bed bug spray is designed for when you travel or go on vacation to put your mind at rest. It is a 2 ounce bottle that will pass TSA regulations.
It won’t take up space in your luggage and has a sweet cinnamon scent. It is not designed to treat a home infestation but as more of a preventative measure on the road.
No products found.
As a busy mom, Raz knows firsthand the challenges of balancing parenting and household management. Raz is constantly searching for ways to simplify her life and loves sharing her experiences and tips with others. Whether it's finding creative meal solutions for picky eaters or discovering the latest time-saving home organization hack, she is always on the lookout for ways to make life easier for her family and herself.
Last update on 2023-02-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API