There may be affiliate links in this article. You can read more about this in my disclosure.
As the holidays get closer and closer, baking is in the forefront of my mind in a big way! Especially with all of the amazing decorations going up everywhere and all of the fun holiday festivals around our town! These holly Christmas cupcakes were so fun and festive to make!
Just this weekend we went to our annual tree lighting ceremony in our downtown area and it’s always such a great experience to kick off the holiday season in such a festive way. Plus, this year, we have already had a huge snowfall so it definitely feels like the holidays around here!
Holly Fondant Leaves
For making these holly Christmas cupcakes, There are a few different steps! First, we will tackle the holly leaves, which will be made from fondant.
What You’ll Need:
- Mini leaf cookie cutter
- 1 pkg of green fondant
- 1 Fondant pin to make imprints on the leaves
- 1 Green edible marker
- 1 Cup powdered sugar
- 1 Fondant rolling pin
1. Sprinkle powdered sugar onto a cutting board.
2. Place the green fondant onto the cutting board and sprinkle more powdered sugar onto the fondant.
3. Roll it out to 1/2 inch thickness.
4. Using the leaf cookie cutter, cut out 44 leaves and set aside.
5. Allow the leaves to dry for about an hour before using the fondant pin to make the imprints.
6. Using the edible marker, trace the imprints on the leaves.
7. Allow the leaves to dry for 24 hours.
Holly Christmas Cupcakes
For this recipe, you can really put your own spin on the actual cupcake itself. We use a boxed vanilla cake mix but you could certainly use your favorite homemade cake recipe, whether that be chocolate, vanilla, or even a delicious red velvet!
The best part about desserts like these holly Christmas cupcakes is that you can always customize them. Make them your own by putting a personal spin on them to make what your family enjoys! The recipe below is going to be how I personally make them!
What You’ll Need:
- 1 Box of French Vanilla cake mix
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup of unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- Christmas cupcake liners
- Cupcake pan
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Line cupcake pan with the cupcake liners.
3. In a medium bowl, add the cake mix, eggs, butter, milk, and vanilla extract, stir until combined.
4. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 of the way full.
5. Bake in the oven for about 21 minutes.
6. Pull out the cupcakes and allow to cool before frosting.
Holly Jolly Frosting
What You’ll Need:
- 1 Cup Unsalted sweet cream butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3-5 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1-3 drops of red food coloring
- 1 large piping bag fitted with a star tip
- 66 red m&m’s
Related: DIY Christmas Grinch Slime
1. Using a stand mixer, combine all ingredients and mix on medium speed.
2. Mix until you see stiffed peaks in your frosting.
3. Split the frosting into two bowls, leaving one of them white
4. Mix in the 3-6 drops of red food coloring into the second bowl and mix until you get a bright red color
5. Using a butter knife, scoop the red color onto one side of the piping bag
6. Spoon in white icing
7. Frost the cooled cupcakes
8. Now, carefully place two leaves onto the frosting and three red M&M’s in the middle!
Also, check out this AMAZING cupcake carrier. These making transporting these beauties to your family Christmas party a million times easier. I swear by this thing! I never knew how much use I would get out of a single item.
I hope you love making these cupcakes with your family as much as I do! Do you have a favorite Christmas dessert you make every year? Tell us about it in the comment!
Want an awesome way to remind the kiddos that Santa really IS watching them this time of year? Sign up at the bottom of the page to grab this FREE printable Santa Surveillance Warning!