Red Velvet Donut Recipe To Die For
Are you as much of a fan of that distinct red velvet flavor as so many others are? It’s a common misconception that red velvet is simply a colored chocolate cake when actually, that’s not quite accurate. These red velvet donuts will show you the truth!
Related: Winnie the Pooh Donuts
There may be affiliate links in this article. You can read more about this in my disclosure.
Yes, there is a bit of cocoa that goes into the making of this unique flavor but it’s not just your average chocolate cake! Traditionally, red velvet cakes are more of a light, moist and fluffy buttermilk style cake. Instead of being made with chocolate, they are made with cocoa and buttermilk. (Traditionally, they were given their deep maroon color and added moisture using beets!)
Related: Valentine’s Day Monster Cupcakes
So, most of us are used to eating donuts that are fried from a corner donut shop or one of those big chain places. If you have never had baked donuts, you are in for a huge treat! This baked red velvet donut recipe is honestly an excuse to eat cake for breakfast.
Related: Unique School Valentine Cards
While I personally feel that these red velvet donuts are a fantastic breakfast any time of year, they make an awesome Valentine’s Day breakfast for your sweetheart or kiddos! This glaze will make your mouth water and the kids will be so excited to help with the sprinkles.
Feel free to play around with your colors and put a spin on your sprinkles. Customizing these recipes to your own liking is one of the best parts about baking!
Red Velvet Donuts – Tips Before You Start
Donut Pan – These are the donut pans I have and use and I absolutely love them! Wilton is such a great brand when it comes to all things baking. I am never let down with their quality or affordability!
- Make a half or a full dozen of donuts for...
- Baking sheet comes in set of 2 for double the...
Red Velvet Flavoring & Color – While you don’t have to use a special red velvet flavoring, you can opt to do so. It simply provides a richer flavor while giving you that deep red color at the same time. This is the specific flavoring/color that I used for this recipe. If you opt not to do so, you can just use red food coloring instead!
- OliveNation Red Velvet Bakery Flavor Emulsion,...
- Quickly Add the Taste and Color of Rich Red Velvet...
Fun Sprinkles – You can choose any sprinkles for these donuts that match the mood you are in! These are just some specific sprinkles that I love for this specific time of year. I love the chocolaty center in these sprinkles, yum!
- • 1 cup flour
- • 2 tbsp cocoa
- • ½ cup brown sugar
- • ½ tsp salt
- • 1 tsp baking powder
- • ½ cup buttermilk
- • 2 ½ tbsp butter, melted
- • 1 tsp vanilla extract
- • 1 egg
- • 2 tsp red food coloring (or 1 ½ tsp red velvet flavoring/coloring)
- • 2 cups powdered sugar
- • 1 tsp vanilla
- • Pinch of salt
- • 3-4 tbsp milk
- • ¼ tsp extract, optional (If you don't want a flavored glaze, just add ¼ tsp more vanilla)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients:
- flour, cocoa, brown sugar, salt, and baking powder.
- In a second bowl, combine the wet ingredients:
- buttermilk, melted butter, vanilla extract and egg.
- In the dry ingredients, make a well in the middle of the bowl.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry.
- Mix together.
- Add in the red food coloring or red velvet flavoring/coloring.
- Grease the donut pan really well!
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until the tops spring back.
- Allow to cool completely.
- To make the glaze, in a bowl add powdered sugar and salt. Mix.
- Add the vanilla, the flavoring extract if you choose, and 2 tbsp milk. Stir.
- Slowly add 1 tbsp of milk at a tip until you get the consistency that you want. (I added about 3 - 3 ½ tbsp of milk total.)
- Separate your glaze into smaller bowls and use food coloring to get your desired colors.
- Dip the tops of the donuts into the glaze.
- While the glaze is still wet, add sprinkles.
- Allow to fully set.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 277Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 35mgSodium 306mgCarbohydrates 54gFiber 1gSugar 39gProtein 4g
As a busy mom, Raz knows firsthand the challenges of balancing parenting and household management. Raz is constantly searching for ways to simplify her life and loves sharing her experiences and tips with others. Whether it's finding creative meal solutions for picky eaters or discovering the latest time-saving home organization hack, she is always on the lookout for ways to make life easier for her family and herself.
Last update on 2023-02-06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API