Valentine’s day is one of my favorite holidays for fun recipes and crafts! I absolutely love all things magenta, coral, salmon, red, and, well…. every other shade of pink there is! These Valentine’s Day Monster cupcakes are so incredibly fun to make plus, they are basically impossible to mess up!
Being able to get messy in the kitchen with kids is one of the best experiences you can have. Since these cupcakes are mostly just decorated by “piling on” icy in a way that is literally meant to look messy, it is PERFECT for the little ones!
You’ll love these Valentine’s Day Heart rolls for breakfast!
There may be affiliate links in this article. You can read more about this in my disclosure.
These cute little Valentine’s Day monster cupcakes are sure to put a smile on your face, just by looking at them. The taste is a whole other surprise to be enjoyed! Even with using a boxed mix, this specific recipe will make the richest and most delicious cupcakes, guaranteed to please a crowd! If you want an even easier Valentine’s day treat, these candy kabobs are a HUGE hit and totally no-bake!
Let’s get down to business and get cooking in the kitchen!
Related: DIY Grinch Slime
Ingredients You’ll Need for Valentine’s Day Monster Cupcakes
- 1 Box French Vanilla Cake Mix
- 3 Eggs (4 to make it even richer!)
- 1 stick of softened unsalted sweet cream butter
- 1 C whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 22 brown M&M’s
- 22 square marshmallows
- 1 small fondant circle cutter
- 1 package of mustaches
- 1 container of red fondant
- 1/2 C powdered sugar
- 1 mini heart cookie cutter
- cupcake liners
- 1 small tube of chocolate frosting
- 2 Disposable piping bags
- Wilton No.4 Decorating Tip, Round
- Wilton grass tip
Directions for Your Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 and line cupcake pan with the liners.
- Using a hand mixer, beat together the cake mix, butter, milk, and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Using a medium ice cream scoop, scoop the batter into the cupcake liners and fill about 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake in the oven for about 21 minutes.
- Pull out and place on the side to cool
Related: Oreo Truffles
Valentine’s Day Heart Ears – Directions
- First, grab your 1/2 cup of powdered sugar. Sprinkle a bit of this down on your countertop or cutting board as well as on top of the fondant. Now, roll the red fondant out to about 1/8th inch thick. This doesn’t have to be perfect. Just do your best.
- Cut out 44 hearts from your flattened fondant. These will be the “ears” of your monster!
- Set aside your fondant hearts so they can dry.
- Prepackaged fondant icing is soft and easy to use
- Color: Red
Valentine Monster Eye’s – Directions
- This is where you will be using your marshmallows. With the circle cookie cutter, cut out 22 rounds from the marshmallows to create your monster’s eyes.
- Pipe a small dollop of chocolate frosting onto the center of the marshmallow. Just enough to act as a “glue”.
- Place an M&M onto the frosting.
Valentine’s Day Frosting Ingredients
- 1 C unsalted butter
- 3 C powdered sugar
- 3 – 5 TBSP heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp Vanilla bean paste
- Pink gel food coloring
- In a standing mixer, combine the butter, powder sugar, vanilla, and the heavy whipping cream.
- Mix on medium speed until stiff and creamy.
- If you still see powdery pebbles, add in 2 more tbsp heavy whipping cream.
- Continue to mix until stiff and creamy
- Beat in a few drops of pink food coloring and mix until fully combined and frosting is a dark pink color
Related: DIY Gingerbread Sugar Scrub
If you want a ton more ideas, you can check out 25 more easy Valentine’s Day Desserts from Butter With a Side of Bread!
Building Your Valentine’s Day Monster Cupcakes:
- Once your frosting is mixed well (and thoroughly taste-tested, of course) scoop some of that frosting into both of your piping bags.
- Pipe squiggly lines all over the top of one of your cooled cupcakes.
- Place an “eye” in the center of the frosting and then pipe a bit more frosting around the base of the eye to cover where it was “implanted”.
- Place a mustache into the lower center of the frosting.
- Place a red heart on each side of the top for the “ears”.
Enjoy this delicious and easy to create Valentine’s Day treat! We love trying out fun new creations, especially themed ones for holidays. Sugar intake doesn’t count on holidays anyway… right? 😉
Do you have favorite Valentine’s Day traditions with your little ones? We would love to hear them in the comments below!
Last update on 2021-06-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API